Mark is Managing Director of (GLL) Greenwich Leisure Limited which is the pioneering worker owned, Charitable Leisure Social Enterprise that took over the operation of Greenwich Council’s leisure centres in 1993 as an innovative ‘spin out’.
GLL had a turnover of £5m in 1993 with 150 employees operating 7 leisure centres in London for one Borough, by 2010 turnover was over £80m and GLL now employed around 4,000 people operating 70 leisure centres in partnership with 14 Boroughs.
GLL currently operates all the public leisure centres in the five Olympic Host Boroughs and has the ambition to be a key Social Enterprise player in the delivery of the Olympic Games in London in 2012 and more importantly in the Legacy for East London thereafter.
The GLL ‘model’ has been replicated in more than 120 local authorities throughout the United Kingdom (although not all of these organisations are worker owned) and leisure Social Enterprises provide a thriving and growing contribution to the alternative sources of delivery agenda.
Current positions held:
• Co-Chair of Social Enterprise London (SEL)
• Member of the board of the Social Enterprise Coalition (SEC)
• Secretary of the Sports and Recreation Trusts Association (sporta).
• Chair of ProActive Central London (Sport England)
• Member of London Community Sports Board
• Member of Employers Board, National Skills Academy, SkillsActive
• Member of GLL Sports Foundation Board
Further information: www.gll.org